2026 East Coast Championship
Thursday October 8, 2026 dawned and the Weta East Coast Championships / 52nd Indian Summer Regatta was in danger of being blown out. The forecast for Saturday and Sunday was pushing the envelope for safe Weta racing. There were also prospects of some storms in the back draft of Hurricane Isiaias. I was on my way down from the North Carolina Mountains and pulled over for some weather studying and communications with Waccamaw race officials and out of town Weta sailors also planning to head towards Waccamaw. After much deliberation we believed Friday’s weather would be great for the planned on water coaching clinic to be led by Gareth Ferguson. The racing forecast was borderline. The best summary of the decision came from Baxter Gordon who said, “It’s worth the trip for me if we just get to do the clinic.” So we pressed on.
I arrived at Waccamaw Thursday…




Chuck,
Thanks for the summary. I enjoy living vicariously through these stories when I can't make it. I am glad everyone continued on despite the forecast and you got in some races.
Jim Serpa
#866 Bumble Bee